Thursday 16 November 2017

Into the Wilderness ... The Summer Isles Part 1

The Summer Isles are a collection of island  .. reefs and rocks off the entrance to Loch Broom and the lovely highland town of Ullapool. They are best seen from the hill road near Achiltibuie


Having been on the road and Wild Car Camping for a week..it was time to book into a campsite and soothe my itch for a decent shower. The campsite at Altandu was perfect .. and I will return as it has a nice Pub at its gates ..but unfortunately I couldn't sample the beer at that time ..as I was resting my liver.



I had a look at the slipway at Old Dornie ..its not far from the campsite .. but I decided against launching here. Its very tidal and I was almost left high and dry here in a previous visit


So decided to launch off the beach at Achitibuie common instead. Its my normal launch point when in this area so I'm well aware it is a hard recovery when the tide is out. I don't mind that with my light weight outfit. Its perfect for parking with Public Toilets at the top of the road too.




I noticed the metal balls and old boats that decorate the common are slowly rotting away..but they still make a nice photograph



Here is the video of my trip round the Summer Isles. It was a perfect day. The video is in four parts ..so come back later to see the other parts.




This is the direct link of the video on U Tube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al6B4b4tV_k

No comments: