Wednesday 15 November 2017

Into the Wilderness ... Stac Polly


A first impression of Lochinver is that it could be just another dreary highland village ..especially in a dull damp day. Its not a particularly attractive village sprawling along one side of the main street. Its a sleepy little village too .. especially if you are waiting to refill the car with fuel. The garage is often closed just when I need it most.

However the sight of the rounded dome of Suilven .. Scotland’s sugar loaf mountain certainly sweetens the village sights for me.



Its only when you stop to explore the village that you discover a real hidden gem. It is the Lochinver Pie Shop. It must make the best pies in Scotland ... if not the entire universe. I can thoroughly recommend the venison pie for main course, followed by the rhubarb pie for afters. These pies can even kick start a lousy liver into firing on four cylinders again. They are truly mana from heaven.



With a stomach full of pie I then drove slowly along one of the most scenic coastal road in Scotland. The single track road between Lochinver and Inverpolly Forest. It passes some delightful sheltered bays.



Lovely fresh water lochs ....



Offering side on sights of Suilven



And eventually arriving at Stack Pollaidh (Polly for short) where I took a short walk to the sandy beach for this photograph.



I then spent the night in a local lay by before rising early in the morning. I was a man on a mission again. Full of energy and Lochinver Pie that needed walked off.

I headed up the hill.


Direct link to the video on U Tube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7vpszsu_T8



The video is a bit shaky .. not because of nerves walking narrow paths ..but because the Gopro gimbal that stabilises my footage..  well ... the battery was flat.

When I got back to the car .. I discovered my love of boating had returned too .. and where better to re launch it than the Lovely Summer Isles

No comments: