Friday 4 May 2012

Cononish and the Gold Mine

Just before reaching the summit of Sron nan Colan, I caught my first glimpse of Ben Oss and Ben Lui reflected in a little lochan. It was one of those rare days when the sun is shining in clear blue sky, yet the atmosphere is as clear as can be. We could see for miles. :-D


Moments later we arrived at the summit cairn. Beinn Dorian was just coming into view to the north east. It was also capped with snow.


Looking west, I could see our next summit, the rounded top of Meall Odhar standing above the forest line. Above that the spectacular corrie of Saobhaidhe on Beinn Chuirn caught my eye and to the left, Ben Lui looked magnificent capped in snow


As we started walking along the ridge towards Meall Odhar, I zoomed in on the view towards Ben Lui. The Cononish Gold mine is just beside the tin huts in the foreground of this shot. Above that the great gash of Eas Anie cuts the flank of Beinn Chuirn and hides the remains of two more lead mines. And topping the photograph is Ben Lui and its Centre Gully.

That view brought back memories of climbing the gully many years ago, on a cold misty winter's day. I was dreading reaching the summit in case the snow cornises were too dangerous to cut through and it could have meant a long slow descent back down the gully. Although I was with a friend, we didnt have a rope, so I was very relieved to find a route already cut through the top cornise :-D


Looking back the way we had come, Ben Challum was receeding into the distance.


To the south appeared some unidentified hills.. possibly some corbetts or grahams just north of Ben Vorlich on Loch Lomond ?


Finally we arrived at the summit cairn of Meall Odhar. That is when we decided to extend our walk to take in the Top of Beinn Chuirn. After all .. it was such a lovely day .. all the gold in the mine below couldn't buy the experience of being on the hills that day


To be continued ...

2 comments:

Douglas Wilcox said...

Hi Donald as you know it,s now 8 years since I was last in the hills but I think your unidentified hills are the Munros: Beinn Chabhair and An Caisteal/Beinn a' Chroin. :o)

Donny Wilcox said...

Thanks for the ID Douglas.

I remember we did the An Caisteal horseshoe ridge together .. in full winter conditions..many moons ago..so I should have known :-D