Wednesday 4 May 2011

Loch Etive and the seal colony

Once I was clear of the mussel farms the waves began to ease and I got the camera out again. That’s not rain water on the cuddy roof, it is spray water thrown up by the waves, however I was still dry because I sheltered in the cuddy as I motored into the waves.



Then the wind dropped and the sea flattened. I started trolling a lures behind the boat in the hope of catching an early fish but still had no luck. I guess the water will have to warm a bit more before the migratory fish enter the sea lochs.



I decided to cross the loch and see if any seals were about on the rocks over on the south west side of the loch. The first sign of life I saw that day was a couple of cormorants which took to the air as I closed in for a photograph.



Then I saw the seals sunning themselves on the seaweed cushioned rocks.



Looking carefully I started to see a few more. They showed little interest in me.



Ben Cruachan makes a fine background to the seal colony



As does Buachaille Etive Beag which is the peaked mountain behind this seal.



For a different perspective of Loch Etive, this is a view from the top of Buchaille Etive Beag looking back at the seal colony (marked with the arrow) I took that photo on a hill walk a couple of years ago.

No comments: