Tuesday 5 December 2017

Into The Wilderness ... Golspie

I enjoyed my visit to Portmahomack and Tarbet Ness ... but soon it was time to move on again. I decided to follow part of the "new" tourist trap of the North. The North Coast 500 route.

Although its advertised as Scotland's new route.. I first recall doing it on a small Yamaha DT175 motor bike in the late 70's and then many times thereafter. The only thing I noticed different about it now ... is how popular it has become as many "New" people discover the area. This is a good thing for tourism.. but it has distracted a bit from the "Wilderness" feeling for me.

Anyhoo..I headed for Golspie as I wanted to walk part of the North Coast from Golspie to Brora. Its a lovely area and as most folk going on the North Coast 500 route don't appear to like walking .. it was surprisingly quiet.

My reason for wanting to walk this part of the coast was to see Dunrobin Castle. Its a picturesque castle I always wanted to photograph ..but never stopped as I always assumed it would be a very expensive admission fee. However I was delighted when I found out it was only £9.50 for a poor pensioner ... so happily parted with that amount and really enjoyed my visit.


The castle was very busy with tourists ..and it was a warm summer day. I confess to being a little conscious of my "natural" odour as I walked among the sweaty crowds in the confines of the castle interior. I knew I had been washing in burns for a few days.. so the parts I may have missed ..must have added to the atmosphere of the castle visit for other tourists. Not that it spoiled my visit .. nor the visit of others.. but the did not crowd me in.





It inspired this video ... which also covers Badbea and the Whaligo Steps



Direct Link to video on U Tube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPQ-_pItaG8


No comments: