Tuesday 25 January 2011

Balquhidder and Meall an t-Seallaidh continued

Meall an t-Seallaidh is a two summit hill and the views were as good as they get. The first summit is on a rocky outcrop and has a little stone cairn to mark it. The views to the SE towards Ben Vorlich and Stuc a Chroin were impressive. Their summits still smothered in snow. I could just imagine how busy it was as an army of walking ants clambered their way to the tops.



To the South, I could see the freezing fog in the valleys of the central belt around Stirling area. Ben Ledi is to the right of the photo and there would be a lot of people there too. I had not seen a single soul on my walk, nor a footprint in the snow, apart from my own, the deer and the hares.



To the SE loch Voil shimmered silently in the cold clear air. Ben Venue stood proud on the horizon.



A short walk then brough me to the second summit marked with the trig point. Stobinnian and Ben More also looked very impressive to the NW



To the N the snow covered hills on the other side of Glen Dochart . Beyond them was the Tyndrum Munros and beyond that again stood the Glencoe mountains.



Then over to the NE was the Tarmachan and Ben Lawers ranges.



My small photos don’t do the 360 degree panorama justice. To do it the justice it deserves ..I can only recommend you go see it for yourself. Im glad I turned back in December when it was misty. If I had continued to the summit I would not have seen the views nor would I have returned so soon.

The rest of the ridge was still in front of me and I had more visual delights to see ....

No comments: