Thursday 20 January 2011

An Anniversary and the beginning of some changes

I started this blog with a view of documenting my journeys around Scotland’s west coast using my “inheritance” which was my father’s little inflatable boat and outboard motor. It is also dedicated in memory of my father as he is never far from my mind when I paddle or power my way round some of the most scenic seascapes in the world.

Hopefully I captured some of the beauty and the excitement of discovering the sea for myself as a solo sailor, in some of last year’s posts and photographs. The blog then changed direction as the weather started to get colder and I headed for the hills which is another great passion of mine.


My father in his last boat



This week was the first anniversary of my father’s death, and I have been doing a little reflecting over the way I now want to live. Like this blog, over the next year or so, I hope to have a few changes in direction. I realise some of the things I want now are still pipe dreams, and some can be reality but require a little more work or are further down the road. But I also remember from early school lessons in Physics that things tend to travel in straight lines because it is the easiest way. That doesn’t mean to say its the best way. Changes in direction require some form of energy. I’m hoping to find some of that energy by searching into my inner self.

Never fear though, I still intend keeping this blog updated on a regular basis and if you are interested in following my metamorphic transformations while changing my directions, I hope you will stay tuned and perhaps find it interesting or even entertaining ?

My first change will be in the direction of my little inflatable. Im now taking my father’s last boat under my wing and when the warmer weather arrives, I hope to renew my acquaintance of the sea in a little more comfort. Its a proper little boat and not full of so much air as my inflatable. I fully realise it won’t cross the Atlantic but it will be a good deal drier in the calmer days of summer. I have many sea lochs still to see. I also hope to do a bit more fishing from it and not worry about bursting it with a hook, or wondering what I would do if I caught an eight foot conger eel :-o



Talking about crossing the Atlantic, I also hope to do that a little more often too and also for my American friend to visit here a bit more often. In three weeks time I’m heading for another break in New Orleans. You can be sure we will be in the crowds watching the parades and trying to catch the prize beads and doubloons of the Krewe de Vieux as they dance down the streets. The description of this mob from the official web site reads ...

Founded in 1987, the Krewe du Vieux is one of the most anticipated krewes with the hand-made mule-drawn floats and adult themes. This wild, satirical Carnival parade, which first marched in 1978, was based out of New Orleans' Contemporary Arts Center. The Krewe du Vieux is a non-profit organization dedicated to the historical and traditional concept of a Mardi Gras parade as a venue for individual creative expression and satiricalcomment. It is unique among all Mardi Gras parades because it alone carries on the old Carnival traditions, by using decorated, hand or mule-drawn.

Im looking forward to it very much and you can be sure I will post my adventures on here.

In the meantime.. as I await more changes in direction ..Im heading back to the hills..and will post a few more walks shortly.

No comments: