Thursday 30 December 2010

Glen Kinglass and the dead deer

Once I cycle past Loch Dochard, I often just abandon my bike in the heather beside the land rover track and take to the hills on foot. I have no concerns of the bike being touched as I have seldom seen anyone this far in the moors. However I do remove the seat and hide it away from the bike, just as a deterrent , in case some undesirable did stumble across it.

Deep in the wilderness only the strong survive. This deer didn’t make it through the winter. Not far from the skull was the remains of its skeleton. It looked like it had died because of a broken leg. Although I travel in these places alone, I have little fear of them. I hope when my time comes, I will depart my mortal coil in such a wilderness. Its a very peaceful place and the views are to die for.

A fallen deer lies beside a little lochan, deep in the wilderness.




Care has to be taken not to fall through the peat “crust” or you may find your head preserved in the same state as the deer skull.



The higher ground is much drier and often paved with huge granite slabs.



Looking back towards Loch Dochard from the ridge top of Sron na h-lolaire. I don’t think many people will have stood on its summit as its well off the beaten track and only 500 meters in height.



Looking into Coire na Caime from the ridge top. Ben Starav is at the head of the coire. I imagined there would be a few walkers on its summit. I was the only person on my summit. I was at peace with the world.



Meall nan Eun reflected perfectly on Loch Dochard as I cycled back to Loch Tulla. I had survived and thoroughly enjoyed another day in the wilderness. It felt great to be alive and well.

No comments: