Saturday 18 September 2010

Gigha and the race home

We were full of high spirits when we got back on the water after our walk, although Im not entirely convinced it wasn’t a case of high on spirits for my two companions.

Once round the north of the island we started to have a race. Phil put a lot of effort into it.



Douglas on the other hand let his sail do the hard work while he read his book on tide races.



However .... It was neck and neck for most of the way until ....



Phil hit a brick wall



But it doesn’t take much imagination to see who is in the lead here.




Then I got left behind the kayaks as they took the shortcuts through the skerries to the north of Ardminish bay while I took the long route to stay in deep water.



Finally we all arrive back at the boathouse around the same time which was .... just in time for a coffee and ice cream.



Before returning to the mainland we went back to Cara as it was such a beautiful day but I have already covered that part of the journey in an earlier post. Thanks to my brother Douglas and to Phil for taking me on this incredible journey. The memories of it will stay with me for a long time. Thanks guys :-D

If you have not already seen Douglas’s account of this journey.. you can see it here

http://seakayakphoto.blogspot.com/2010/09/clear-skies-over-gigha.html

No comments: